What is Paragliding SIV?
Paragliding SIV, or simulated in-flight emergencies, is a type of training program for paragliders. It involves intentionally inducing and recovering from various types of malfunctions or emergencies that can occur during a paraglider flight. These exercises are typically carried out under the supervision of a qualified instructor, in a controlled environment such as a designated training area or a wind tunnel.
SIV training is designed to help paragliders develop the skills and confidence needed to safely handle and recover from challenging in-flight situations. It can involve practicing a range of maneuvers, including stalls, spirals, and asymmetrical collapses, as well as dealing with issues such as line entanglements or equipment failures.
SIV training is typically recommended for experienced paragliders who have already mastered basic flying skills and are looking to improve their ability to handle more advanced or challenging conditions. It is generally not recommended for beginner paragliders, as it can be physically demanding and requires a high level of competency and control.
Where is the best place to do an SIV course?
The best place to do an SIV course will depend on a number of factors, including your location, the weather conditions, and the availability of qualified instructors. Some popular locations for paragliding SIV courses include:
- Oludeniz, Turkey is probably top of the list.
- The French Alps: The French Alps are known for their reliable weather conditions and strong thermals, making them an ideal location for paragliding SIV courses. There are many experienced instructors and training centers located in the region.
- Chamonix: Chamonix is a popular paragliding destination located in the French Alps, known for its challenging and varied terrain. It is home to several SIV training centers and instructors.
- Lake Annecy: Located in the French Alps, Lake Annecy is another popular location for paragliding SIV courses. The region is known for its mild climate and strong thermals, which make it an ideal location for practicing various maneuvers and emergency procedures.
- Piedrahita: Piedrahita is a small town located in central Spain, known for its strong thermals and consistent flying conditions. It is a popular location for paragliding SIV courses and is home to several training centers and instructors.
- Other locations: Other popular locations for paragliding SIV courses include Switzerland, Italy, and Brazil.
It is important to choose a reputable training center or instructor, and to carefully consider the weather conditions and other factors when deciding on a location for your SIV course. It is also a good idea to check with local authorities to ensure that the training center or instructor is certified and follows safety guidelines.